[asterisk-users] zaptel/ssh interaction

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Apr 15 09:07:40 MST 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 09:40:35AM -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions; I have a few things to
> try.
>
> Some things I want to note:
>
> 1) Yes, I am certain that when I load and unload the modules, they are
> really loaded or unloaded. I did check with lsmod. I am also certain
> that the problems I am having are 100% correlated with whether the
> zaptel drivers are loaded. No driver, no problem, load driver, problems
> return.

The thing I specifically wondered about is that zaptel on its own causes
problems (without modules that actually generate spans: ztdummy, wctdm,
wcfxo, etc.)

> 2) I do not have an IRQ conflict (at least not directly; no shared
> interrupt numbers in /proc/interrupts)
>
> 3) The zaptel drivers do function properly when loaded. Asterisk works
> with my Digium card.
>
> 4) SSH itself works fine. It is only the initial key negotiation that
> fails when zaptel is loaded. If I stop asterisk and unload zaptel, then
> I can ssh in, and if I then reload zaptel and restart asterisk, my
> already-established ssh session works fine. The same thing happens with
> the ipsec-tools/racoon tunnel. If I start racoon on both ends and let it
> set up the SA, I can then reload zaptel and asterisk and the tunnel
> works fine. When the SA times out and racoon has to renegotiate the SA,
> it fails with a similar type of message, as though the packets it is
> seeing are malformed.

So the problem is with /dev/random (the entropy pool)?

What happens if you replace /dev/random with a link to /dev/urandom ?

What do you get from an strace of the sshd around thetime it hangs?

> 5) All other network-related traffic works fine, whether or not zaptel
> is loaded. It is only things related to RSA key negotiation that fail.
>
> 6) The zaptel driver also affects the sound. I get extraneous beeps and
> pops in the playback stream.

Not sure how this is related. Maybe this is aa separate issue.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com