[asterisk-users] SIP INFO message

Peder at NetworkOblivion peder at networkoblivion.com
Wed Apr 11 08:26:25 MST 2007

I've got a very strange problem and I can't figure it out.  I have a
Cisco PRI gateway connected to * via SIP.  When I debug on the Cisco, I
see callerID name, but it is not getting to * via SIP.  I am running *
1.4.2 and the latest Cisco IOS for my router.  Here is what is happening:

A call comes into the gateway.  It sends a SIP INVITE to * with
"pending" as the callerID name (this does NOT show up on any phones).

* sends a TRYING message back to the gateway.

* waits 2 seconds (I have a 2 second wait in the dialplan) and then
sends an INVITE to the phone.

The phone sends back TRYING and RINGING to *.

* then sends RINGING to the gateway and the gateways sends a SIP INFO
with the correct CALLERID NAME.  It doesn't matter if the wait in the
dialplan is 1 second, 2 seconds, or 5 seconds, it never sends the
correct name until after * sends it a RINGING message.

I never see any name on my display (neither pending, nor the real name).
  I am grabbing a tcpdump and I see "pending" and the real name in
there, I just never see it on the * console, or on the phone.

The config on * for the gateway is pretty vanilla:

[192.168.1.100]
context=default
type=friend
host=192.168.1.100
dtmfmode=rfc2833
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=g729
canreinvite=yes
qualify=yes
t38pt_udptl = yes

* doesn't appear to understand the INFO message as it is spitting out
some errors like below, and I am dropping calls after ~ 30 seconds.

[Apr  9 22:52:22] WARNING[14660]: chan_sip.c:1916 retrans_pkt: Hanging
up call A94C164B-E64D11DB-80BCE9B9-6C3796E8 at 192.168.1.9 - no reply to
our critical packet.

If I disable the feature on the gateway that sends the name, everything
works fine, but I obviously don't get name.  I've spoken to several
other people that have virtually the same gateway config as me and
theirs works.  I've tried this with * 1.4.2 and 1.0.3 and I get the same
results on both of them.  I am to the point where I think I have some *
config wrong, but I can't imagine what it could be.  Anybody have any
insight into why * would freak out on an INFO message?  I can send
Ethereal captures if that would help.

Thanks.

Peder