[asterisk-users] asterisk on 2.4 kernel ... scheduler problem?

Cesc cesc.santa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 01:14:48 MST 2006

inline ...

On 9/28/06, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:24:27PM +0200, Cesc wrote:
> > Hello people!
> >
> > I have an inquiry (not a doubt ;D ). Actually, two.
> >
> > I am trying to run asterisk on an embedded Power PC platform on which
> > we have a linux with a 2.4.2x kernel.
>
> Still uses 2.4 today? Not a very good sign.

yeah, i know ... but multiple issues here: management and money;
backwards compatibility (not all sectors are concerned about cutting
edge) and reduced size of the 2.4 kernel. Anyway ... it is just the
way it is :)

> > In there, the linux scheduler
> > runs at 100Hz. On a 2.6 kernel, the scheduler is at 1KHz. I just take
> > this from a colleague ... hope it is true :)  I only need to run the
> > VOIP part, thus no POTS or external hardware. Actually, I just need
> > SIP and H323 (channels/h323). Is there any problem to be expected from
> > the scheduler difference? Or any other from running on a 2.4 kernel?
> > Some colleague said that asterisk needs the 1KHz scheduler, but i
> > cannot believe that it won't run on a 2.4 kernel ... Anyway, that is
> > why i am asking.
>
> If you really want a 1kHz timing source for 2.4, build zaptel. But
> you'll need a USB UHCI chip.

my question is, do i really need the 1Khz scheduler? remember i just
want to operate SIP and H323 ...
If i do really need it ... there is NO chance to add any extra
software or the like. It has to be all software based, otherwise it is
a nono.

No one else uses asterisk with a 2.4 kernel? forget the Power PC story
.. but just 2.4?

> > The other inquiry ... as the system is embedded we have not so much
> > disk space available. So, i need a minimal asterisk installation. When
> > compiled and stripped, the biggest amount of space is taken by the
> > modules. My question is, can asterisk work with just the chan_sip.so,
> > chan_h323.so and the codec_*.so? is there any other module needed? I
> > need only be able to bridge sip to h323, no extra fancy stuff needed
> > (parking, echo, blah, blah, ... )
>
> Don't autoload modules in modules.conf . Load only the modules you need.
> Use 'load' from the CLI to manually load modules to see if you need
> them.
>
> One shortcut you may take is to use DeStar. It is an Asterisk
> configuration generator that generates a configuration with explicit
> "load" in modules.conf, rather than loading everything...

ok, i will do that ... i will try to cut to a bare minimum. Tks!

REgards,

Cesc