[asterisk-users] asterisk on 2.4 kernel ... scheduler problem?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Sep 28 07:00:04 MST 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 03:24:27PM +0200, Cesc wrote:
> Hello people!
>
> I have an inquiry (not a doubt ;D ). Actually, two.
>
> I am trying to run asterisk on an embedded Power PC platform on which
> we have a linux with a 2.4.2x kernel.

Still uses 2.4 today? Not a very good sign.

> In there, the linux scheduler
> runs at 100Hz. On a 2.6 kernel, the scheduler is at 1KHz. I just take
> this from a colleague ... hope it is true :)  I only need to run the
> VOIP part, thus no POTS or external hardware. Actually, I just need
> SIP and H323 (channels/h323). Is there any problem to be expected from
> the scheduler difference? Or any other from running on a 2.4 kernel?
> Some colleague said that asterisk needs the 1KHz scheduler, but i
> cannot believe that it won't run on a 2.4 kernel ... Anyway, that is
> why i am asking.

If you really want a 1kHz timing source for 2.4, build zaptel. But
you'll need a USB UHCI chip.

> The other inquiry ... as the system is embedded we have not so much
> disk space available. So, i need a minimal asterisk installation. When
> compiled and stripped, the biggest amount of space is taken by the
> modules. My question is, can asterisk work with just the chan_sip.so,
> chan_h323.so and the codec_*.so? is there any other module needed? I
> need only be able to bridge sip to h323, no extra fancy stuff needed
> (parking, echo, blah, blah, ... )

Don't autoload modules in modules.conf . Load only the modules you need.
Use 'load' from the CLI to manually load modules to see if you need
them.

One shortcut you may take is to use DeStar. It is an Asterisk
configuration generator that generates a configuration with explicit
"load" in modules.conf, rather than loading everything...

Tzafrir Cohen         sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755          iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406          jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com     http://www.xorcom.com