[asterisk-users] progress problems from SIP to PRI

Mon Sep 25 07:54:18 MST 2006

Hi Steve!

The problem is following

              PSTN                   PSTN
                |                     |
               E1                     E1
                |                     |
PBX1<--E1-->Asterisk1<---SIP--->Asterisk2<--E1-->PBX2

2 offices. Asterisk between the PBX and the PSTN. Calls between the
offices are routed directly via SIP (toll bypass).

----SETUP--->
<--SETUPACK--
                 ---INVITE------->
                 <---100----------
                                     ----SETUP--->
                 <---183----------
<--PROGRESS--
                                     <--SETUPACK--
                                     <--CALLPROCEEDING--
                                     <--ALERTING
                 <---180----------
<--CALLPROCEEDING--
<--ALERTING

A user at PBX1 call a user at PBX2. Asterisk 2 sends 183 immediately
after the SETUP from Asterisk2 to PBX2. This causes Asterisk1 to
generate a PROGRESS message. Thus PBX1 activates inband audio. But, as
PBX2 does not generate inband audio, the users at PBX1 do not hear ringback.

As you can see, the 183 causes Asterisk go signal PROGRESS with inband
audio although there is no inband audio (if there would be inband audio
PBX2 would send PROGRESS too).

 > My reading of this is that the 183 message you describe is perfectly
 > legal and appropriate. The PRI has made progress by sending a SETUP
 > request.

IMO that's not a real progress. And as you see from the signaling, at
site 1 there is a PROGRESS message which is not at site 2.

regards
klaus