[asterisk-users] progress problems from SIP to PRI

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 07:16:38 MST 2006

> Hi!
>
> I have problems when bridging from SIP to PRI. As soon as the setup
> message is sent, Asterisk replies with 183 to the sender.
>
> Although there is nor PROGRESS message received, the 183 is sent as the
> SIP channel received a voice frame and thus activates early media.
>
> I wonder why Asterisk reads from the PRI although there was no PROGRESS
> message received yet.
>
> I want to get rid of this 183 - it should be sent only when a PROGRESS
> is received on the PRI.
>
> Can this be configured somehow?
>

>From the SIP RFC:

   "The 183 (Session Progress) response is used to convey information
   about the progress of the call that is not otherwise classified..."

My reading of this is that the 183 message you describe is perfectly
legal and appropriate. The PRI has made progress by sending a SETUP
request.

What nature of problem does this cause you? Perhaps there is a better
solution than stopping legal SIP messages being sent :)

Regards,
Steve