[asterisk-users] Need a recommended T38 FOIP solution

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Sep 24 20:18:59 MST 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 08:06:41PM -0700, Christopher Corn wrote:
>    I help support a small office, 5 SIP phones, connected to an
>    Asterisk PBX. We have 4 analouge fax machines connected to a pstn
>    that i would like to get rid of, but need a foip solution.
>
>    rather thing trying to do a pass through using the g711 protocol,
>    I want to go with a t38 termination since it is more reliable. can
>    someone recommened a cheap t38 foip vendor? also, what kind of
>    changes do i need to make to my analouge fax machines so that i can
>    get this accomplished? i assume theres some type of ATA adapter
>    that will need to be used with the phone. specific brand?
>
>    To receive faxes I assume I could use asterfax,but to send faxes i
>    need to use a fax machine, mainly because people here will need to
>    sign documents then fax them.

What is your PSTN uplink now, and what's it likely to be?  I assume
your primary uplink is still analog PSTN?  Cause if it is, you *might*
be able to use G.711 passthrough, since you won't be trying to send the
G.711 over a VoIP link.  On a LAN, it might work out for you.

Lee may have a more informed opinion on this; I will admit to speculating.

Cheers,
-- jra

	"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
	  they stop having sex with you."  -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_