[asterisk-users] Need a recommended T38 FOIP solution

Christopher Corn christopher_corn at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 24 20:45:24 MST 2006

My Asterisk PBX now is strictly IP, out a 6000/600kbps using the g729 codec.  Only thing using pstn now are my fax machines.

  Thanks for the input Jay.

"Jay R. Ashworth" <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
  On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 08:06:41PM -0700, Christopher Corn wrote:
> I help support a small office, 5 SIP phones, connected to an
> Asterisk PBX. We have 4 analouge fax machines connected to a pstn
> that i would like to get rid of, but need a foip solution.
>
> rather thing trying to do a pass through using the g711 protocol,
> I want to go with a t38 termination since it is more reliable. can
> someone recommened a cheap t38 foip vendor? also, what kind of
> changes do i need to make to my analouge fax machines so that i can
> get this accomplished? i assume theres some type of ATA adapter
> that will need to be used with the phone. specific brand?
>
> To receive faxes I assume I could use asterfax,but to send faxes i
> need to use a fax machine, mainly because people here will need to
> sign documents then fax them.

What is your PSTN uplink now, and what's it likely to be? I assume
your primary uplink is still analog PSTN? Cause if it is, you *might*
be able to use G.711 passthrough, since you won't be trying to send the
G.711 over a VoIP link. On a LAN, it might work out for you.

Lee may have a more informed opinion on this; I will admit to speculating.

Cheers,
-- jra
Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Designer Baylink RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates The Things I Think '87 e24
St Petersburg FL USA http://baylink.pitas.com +1 727 647 1274

"That's women for you; you divorce them, and 10 years later,
they stop having sex with you." -- Jennifer Crusie; _Fast_Women_