[asterisk-users] PRI Backup

adebayo omo-dare bayo0 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 24 07:28:42 MST 2006

Ps. Mr Beck, if you do decide to, at sometime, try to take the TDMoE route - these pages give good pointers:
  http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/content/docbook/current/docs-html/x1320.html
  http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk+TDMoE
  Yet, IMHO, TDMoE is used to encapsulate raw TDM (say ISDN) traffic in Ethernet for transportation, and is best suited for bridging/backhauling. An example would be, PSTN->PRI->(TDMoE)->IPNetwork->(TDMoE)->PRI->PSTN flows as is currently used by many telcommunication companies.

  I am, however, very greatful to Massimiliano for bringing this up, as I did not know that Asterisk could take care of the mux/demux + stringent timing requirements related to TDM transfer in this manner. I would however like to know how Asterisk "generally" performs when compared to other TDMoE provisions such as those sold by RAD or indeed CESoP - if anyone has any answers, your input would be more than welcome.

  Regards
  Bayo

adebayo omo-dare <bayo0 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    There is the very great possibility that employing TDMoE in this environment will introduce new levels of complexity in to the network. And though TDMoE, in itself, is fantastic, IMHO - long haul technology,  it may also be considered to be out of scope and limiting/expensive, most especially considering he already employs the type of network many dream of.

  In terms of distributing inward bound PRI calls across the two sites, your telecom company takes care of those details and forwards calls to the other when the former is seen to be busy. [They possibly call this something like Diversion/Forwarding on Busy] - speak to your provider.

  In terms of distributing outgoing VoIP->PRI->PSTN calls - Off the top of my head, and there may/should be much better ways, you may/should be able to introduce a global count variable and a GotoIf(...) in the dial plan.

  Hope this, in some manner, helps
  Bayo

Massimiliano Stucchi <stucchi at willystudios.com> wrote:
    On 200906, 16:00, Forrest Beck wrote:

> I am looking to see if anyone has a dial plan setup to use a secondary
> PRI. We have two campuses, each with it's own PRI (for telco going to
> a single span digium card) and a 10MB fiber link between the two for
> data. All calls are transfered between the two campuses via the 10MB
> data line and outgoing calls are made on the campus'es PRI. I am
> loking to see if there is a way to tell the server if one PRI is full
> (all 23 channels are in use) or not available to try routing the call
> through the other campus and it's PRI. Anyone doing this already? I
> am not sure how to have asterisk check to see if a PRI is down for
> making the call. I guess I could just add the call route to the other
> campus just below the my default call route. So if the primary call
> route fails, it will just go to the next line being the other campus.

I would try using TDMoE, and duplicating the PRIs over the two machines,
so that:

Machine 1 handles PRI A and has B as, say group2
Machine 2 handles PRI B and has A as, say group2

I don't know if you can run TDMoE over your fiber connection, but I was
just here for a suggestion.

Ciao
--

Massimiliano Stucchi, CTO & Director of Operations
WillyStudios.com - IT Consulting, Web and VoIP Services