[Asterisk-Users] Can you explain why multiple registration is an important (missing) feature ?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Fri Sep 15 06:22:13 MST 2006

Christian Mohrbacher wrote:
> In some cases : Yes.
> But we have the following situation : We re using cisco 7960 phones in
> each office (about 150 of them), but not every person has it's own
> phone. Normally there are two employees in one office and they share one
> phone, BUT have their own extension. Fortunately the Ciscos are able to
> register each line seperately. The lines are registered via their
> extension, which means if you configure your phone to have extension
> 1234 the line will be registeres as SIP/1234.

And there is your problem.  Using the extension as the SIP User ID does
not scale, is confusing, and limits your thinking about devices and
extensions.  There are several reasons this is a bad idea.  Multiple
extension numbers ringing on the same device / line appearance is the
most common.

We use the MAC address of the device as the SIP User ID.  We append a
-a, -b, -c, etc to the MAC address for each line appearance.  This does
not work well for Softphone, but since All Softphones Suck(TM), we don't
really care about this limitation.

Users seldom need to know their SIP User ID.