[Asterisk-Users] Can you explain why multiple registration is an important (missing) feature ?

Christian Mohrbacher christian.mohrbacher at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Fri Sep 15 00:30:10 MST 2006

In some cases : Yes.
But we have the following situation : We re using cisco 7960 phones in
each office (about 150 of them), but not every person has it's own
phone. Normally there are two employees in one office and they share one
phone, BUT have their own extension. Fortunately the Ciscos are able to
register each line seperately. The lines are registered via their
extension, which means if you configure your phone to have extension
1234 the line will be registeres as SIP/1234.
Now we want to give the user's the ability to "take their number with
them". So when you change places you can call a defined number which
will write you a config file for your new phone.
Now, if I have extension 1234 and go to a different office, or to a
meeting room, etc and log into that phone using my extension, if i did
not log out my normal phone we have a problem because we have to SIP/1234.
I haven't found a good solution for that yet, but if I could register
two SIP/1234 phones the problem would be solved.