[asterisk-users] Polycom related question

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at mercury.net
Wed Sep 13 15:15:09 MST 2006

John Marvin wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>> Here is what the configuration looks like for one of the phones, the
>> other is 284:
>>
>> [283](Empire-Defaults)
>> mailbox=283 at Empire-Industries
>>
>> [283a](Empire-Defaults)       mailbox=284 at Empire-Industries
>>
>> [283b](Empire-Defaults)
>> mailbox=285 at Empire-Industries
>>

> So actually you are trying to use one phone to monitor (receive
> notifies for) multiple boxes. It looks like the Polycom's have some
> support a different mwi for each registration, but I'm not sure how
> well it works.
Right. It sort of breaks down like this: (I pray this keeps the formatting)

Phone 283                           Phone 284
Line 1: VM box 283            Line 1: VM box 283
Line 2: VM box 284            Line 2: VM box 284
Line 3: VM box 285            Line 3: VM box 285

So really one line on the phone is just looking at one mail box, but
there are two phones per mail box.
> You didn't specify what username you specify for each config above, so
> I don't know if the notifies are going to one registration or to
> different registrations. The messages button on the phone only seems
> to show the status of one registration, but the indicator light seems
> to combine the different results together (and you can't clear the
> light with the clear button since that only applies to one of the
> registrations). Of course that assumes that you are sending the
> notifies to different registrations on the phone -- all bets are off
> if you are sending them to the same registration (which is controlled
> by the username value) since Asterisk is treating them as separate
> phones the notifies will collide with eachother.
Well the phone will take the sip extension as the username. And I pass
the username of the voice mail box in the to the voice mail function
depending on which line it is calling from in the dialplan. That is if I
am following your statement about which username I specify correctly. If
I am not, then this probably won't make much sense.

> You would get more reliable behaviour if you did as Rich suggested and
> just specified something like this for just the [283] config:
>
> mailbox=283 at Empire-Industries,284 at Empire-Industries,285 at Empire-Industries
>
> In that case Asterisk sums up the total messages in each of the boxes
> and the messages button on the phone will show you that total rather
> than the results for only one of the boxes.
I'll give it a try the next time I am in the office and see what happens.

> The polycom documentation is not very clear on how multiple mwi's are
> supposed to work, so I'm not sure what the right answer is.
AGREED!

> John
Thanks again with the suggestions, I'll let you know the results when I
get a chance to try it out.

Kevin