[asterisk-users] Polycom related question

John Marvin jm-asterisk at themarvins.org
Wed Sep 13 02:12:43 MST 2006

Kevin Smith wrote:

> Here is what the configuration looks like for one of the phones, the
> other is 284:
>
> [283](Empire-Defaults)
> mailbox=283 at Empire-Industries
>
> [283a](Empire-Defaults)       mailbox=284 at Empire-Industries
>
> [283b](Empire-Defaults)
> mailbox=285 at Empire-Industries

So actually you are trying to use one phone to monitor (receive notifies
for) multiple boxes. It looks like the Polycom's have some support a
different mwi for each registration, but I'm not sure how well it works.
  You didn't specify what username you specify for each config above, so
I don't know if the notifies are going to one registration or to
different registrations. The messages button on the phone only seems to
show the status of one registration, but the indicator light seems to
combine the different results together (and you can't clear the light
with the clear button since that only applies to one of the
registrations). Of course that assumes that you are sending the notifies
to different registrations on the phone -- all bets are off if you are
sending them to the same registration (which is controlled by the
username value) since Asterisk is treating them as separate phones the
notifies will collide with eachother.

You would get more reliable behaviour if you did as Rich suggested and
just specified something like this for just the [283] config:

mailbox=283 at Empire-Industries,284 at Empire-Industries,285 at Empire-Industries

In that case Asterisk sums up the total messages in each of the boxes
and the messages button on the phone will show you that total rather
than the results for only one of the boxes.

The polycom documentation is not very clear on how multiple mwi's are
supposed to work, so I'm not sure what the right answer is.

John