[asterisk-users] Via Epia platforms and asterisk

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Wed Sep 13 14:56:47 MST 2006

Greetings list,

Has anyone done any research into call routing and transcoding performance
using a Via Epia based platform?

We have a client with a box in a datacentre with 2 PRIs going into the
machine. We've moved most of their asterisk handling into another more cost
effective datacentre, but the cost of moving the PRIs is prohibitive.

(to give you an idea, they're paying as much for the single rackspace in the
first DC as they are for a whole rack in the new DC)

In a nutshell, what we're looking to do is to replace the asterisk box in
the expensive datacentre with a low power consumption 1U chassis that'll
simply take calls coming in on the PRIs and kick them out via IAX to one or
other of the new asterisk servers in the other datacentre.

In an ideal world, the first box would also transcode the calls to something
like g729 or (ideally) Speex to save bandwidth between the two locations
(since the DC also charges for that), but I'm not sure that's realistic
given the hardware we're looking to use.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Chris