[asterisk-users] Polycom related question

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at mercury.net
Tue Sep 12 17:34:49 MST 2006

Sorry for the late reply, school has started again so I am not in the
office as much. I also remove all the old postings I didn't need and
also deleted mine, so if there were any before this with questions that
I still haven't answered, let me know.

Rich Adamson wrote:
> John Marvin wrote:
>> Rich Adamson wrote:
>>

>>> If you look at the sample configs, you'll find:
>>> mailbox=1234 at default,1233 at default      ; Subscribe to status of
>>> multiple mailboxes
>>>
>>> in the sip.conf.samples for v1.2 stable. That is the only way that I
>>> know of to turn on the mwi for two different phones (eg, extensions).
>>>
>>> Is that what you're using and its not working?
>>
>> I think that is the opposite of what Kevin is trying to do. The above
>> config is for one phone monitoring multiple voicemail boxes. Kevin
>> wants multiple (two) phones monitoring the same mailbox, i.e. he is
>> probably specifying the same mailbox within the config for each of
>> the phones that will be monitoring that mailbox.

Yes, John is correct, I would like two phones to monitor the same
mailbox. I know Rich you asked what type of phones I am using. They are
both Polycom IP 601's firmware 1.6.2. I have the update for 1.6.7 but I
haven't applied it yet since I want to be sure it isn't Asterisk or a
configuration before I upgraded to potentially more problems.
>> I'm not sure why there would be any problems with that. Kevin, have
>> you tried just having one phone at a time do the monitoring, to make
>> sure there aren't any problems with the phone's config? When one
>> misses a notification, is it always the same phone that misses it?
>> It's interesting that the problem is intermittent, it would seem that
>> if Asterisk doesn't support this that it would only notify one phone
>> each time and that the results would be consistant.
Yes, all of our phones (pretty much did a cookie-cutter configuration)
monitor their own mail box, this is the only setup with one. Actually a
point of clarification on my first post. The phones are actually will be
watching 3 mail boxes total. 2 phones, covering 3 mailboxes. The phones
do work if I just assign them one box only.

Here is what the configuration looks like for one of the phones, the
other is 284:

[283](Empire-Defaults)
mailbox=283 at Empire-Industries

[283a](Empire-Defaults)
mailbox=284 at Empire-Industries

[283b](Empire-Defaults)
mailbox=285 at Empire-Industries

The 'a' and 'b' are for the other lines that are watching the voicemail.
When they want to check say mail box 285, then press the 3rd soft-button
on the phone and it dials from 283b. The voicemail function checks for
the letter in the callerid and logs them into the correct mail box.
Which looks like this:

exten => 86*,1,Answer()
exten => 86*,n,Wait(1)
exten => 86*,n,gotoif,$[${CALLERID(num):-1}=a]?ServiceMail:NextTest
exten => 86*,n(NextTest),gotoif,$[${CALLERID(num):-1}=b]?PartsMail:SalesMail
exten => 86*,n(SalesMail),VoiceMailMain(283 at Empire-Industries)
exten => 86*,n(ServiceMail),VoiceMailMain(284 at Empire-Industries)
exten => 86*,n(PartsMail),VoiceMailMain(285 at Empire-Industries)
exten => 86*,n,HangUp()

> Phones don't monitor mailboxes. One needs to tell asterisk "which"
> phones are to be notified when a voicemail is left, and the sip
> statements above are the only ones that I'm aware of to accomplish that.
>
> On many phones, there is only "one" mwi function. If Kevin has one
> extn (eg, 111) on a phone set up with a mwi and then a second extn
> (eg, 222) on the same phone set up for mwi, one extn's mwi might turn
> the indicator on while the second extn will turn it right back off
> again. Since I don't recall Kevin saying what type of phone he's
> using, I can only guess that might be the problem.
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I read, I can have at least one
mwi for each line. I am not really if I can list more or not. Which is
why I did the above with the multiple lines.