[asterisk-users] Long Delay in IAX Calls

Jonathan Palley jpalley at idapted.com
Wed Sep 13 00:04:30 MST 2006

Hello -
  Hope someone can help on this. We are experiencing incredibly high latency
with IAX calls; however not so under SIP calls with identical setups.  We
have tried multiple IAX clients.

  We have tested with two Asterisk setups - one on the local network running
on a OS X and another on a remote server running Redhat.  One is
1.2.9.1(Mac) and the other is
1.2.10 (Redhat).  We are experiencing the same problems.

We have tried with and without jitterbuffer (jitterbuffer=yes/no in iax.con).
More or less the same result.  Here is an example of what we get when
running iax2 show netstats

*CLI> iax2 show netstats
                                -------- LOCAL ---------------------
-------- REMOTE --------------------
Channel                    RTT  Jit  Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts  Jit
Del  Lost   %  Drop  OOO  Kpkts
IAX2/usa-3                   5    0   40     0   0     0    0      7 1727
510   171   5    12 1775      2
IAX2/china-4                20    0   40     0   0     0    0      3  241
289   132   3    67 4242      6

However, sometimes it will fluctuate so that the jitter in the remote drops
to sub 200...and then it will fluctuate back up.  Again, with SIP on the
same network and setup we never experience delays.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

--
Jonathan Palley | Idapted Inc.