[asterisk-users] Voip providers and sip origination and termination?

Yair Hakak yair at hakak.com
Sun Sep 10 14:04:21 MST 2006

actually Rich, not to be picky or anything, but your first paragraph is
backwards.

There are some providers that allow you to originate calls to the
US/World pstn network via their facilities, but do not provide any way
for the US/World to call you from the pstn network. (eg, Origination
only provider.)

That's a termination only provider which allows you to terminate calls.

otherwise, very informative..

-yair

On 9/10/06, Christopher Corn <christopher_corn at yahoo.com> wrote:

> thanks for the verbose explanation!
>

> *Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com>* wrote:
>
> Christopher Corn wrote:
> > can someone please explain the differnces to me???
> >
> > I have an asterisk system im setting up for a small office (4 or 5
> > phones) and as im looking for a voip provider, i find that voip
> > providers generally have unlimited plans, and those that offer sip
> > origination and termination get charged for the minute, for their
> > outgoing and incoming calls.
> >
> > is there a difference in the backend architecture here? if so, what? or
> > is this is just a difference in marketing terms and setup?
> >
> > for example, http://www.broadvoice.com offers an unlimited plan in the
> > US for calls, though they never use the term sip origination and
> > termination. they say their systems also supports asterisk.
> >
> > yet
> >
> http://www.bandwidth.com/content/enterprise?page=voice_services_origination_termination&campaignId=701300000000JBJ
> > calls
> > it sip origination and termination
> >
> > any info is appreciated! thanks!
>
> I'll take a stab at this...
>
> There are some providers that allow you to originate calls to the
> US/World pstn network via their facilities, but do not provide any way
> for the US/World to call you from the pstn network. (eg, Origination
> only provider.)
>
> There are many providers that do the above, but also will assign you a
> normal pstn telephone number allowing the US/World pstn users to call
> you (via sip, iax, etc). (eg, Origination and Termination provider.)
>
> The back end differences for the providers essentially amounts to them
> having to purchase multiple T1's, obtain an allocation of pstn telephone
> numbers, and establish a dialplan to support calls from the pstn
> network. The architecture for origination-only verses origination plus
> termination is the same; the "implementation" is different for one
> verses the other.
>
> For the most part, there are no providers that truly provide "unlimited
> service". The majority include words in fine print that impose some sort
> of limit on their so called unlimited service. For example, some will
> say things like their unlimited service provides 2500 minutes of use;
> call volumes that exceed 2500 minutes will be billed at $0.02/minute.
> Got to read the fine print.
>
> From an architectural perspective, those providers that suggest they
> have unlimited service plans also impose a limit on how many
> simultaneous calls are allowed. The majority of these have a limit of
> one, two, or some very small number of simultaneous calls. There way of
> limiting usage since they don't really want you to use up more then
> their stated fine-print usage.
>
> Those providers that sell their services based on a cost per minute (as
> opposed to unlimited plan) do not typically limit the number of
> simultaneous calls. They want you to use as many minutes as possible, so
> [...]

Yair Hakak
Yair Hakak, CEO
Go Telecom, Ltd., Israel
israel: (972) 54 5491266