[asterisk-users] Voip providers and sip origination and termination?

Christopher Corn christopher_corn at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 10 13:58:24 MST 2006

thanks for the verbose explanation!

Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com> wrote:  Christopher Corn wrote:
> can someone please explain the differnces to me???
>
> I have an asterisk system im setting up for a small office (4 or 5
> phones) and as im looking for a voip provider, i find that voip
> providers generally have unlimited plans, and those that offer sip
> origination and termination get charged for the minute, for their
> outgoing and incoming calls.
>
> is there a difference in the backend architecture here? if so, what? or
> is this is just a difference in marketing terms and setup?
>
> for example, http://www.broadvoice.com offers an unlimited plan in the
> US for calls, though they never use the term sip origination and
> termination. they say their systems also supports asterisk.
>
> yet
> http://www.bandwidth.com/content/enterprise?page=voice_services_origination_termination&campaignId=701300000000JBJ
> calls
> it sip origination and termination
>
> any info is appreciated! thanks!

I'll take a stab at this...

There are some providers that allow you to originate calls to the
US/World pstn network via their facilities, but do not provide any way
for the US/World to call you from the pstn network. (eg, Origination
only provider.)

There are many providers that do the above, but also will assign you a
normal pstn telephone number allowing the US/World pstn users to call
you (via sip, iax, etc). (eg, Origination and Termination provider.)

The back end differences for the providers essentially amounts to them
having to purchase multiple T1's, obtain an allocation of pstn telephone
numbers, and establish a dialplan to support calls from the pstn
network. The architecture for origination-only verses origination plus
termination is the same; the "implementation" is different for one
verses the other.

For the most part, there are no providers that truly provide "unlimited
service". The majority include words in fine print that impose some sort
of limit on their so called unlimited service. For example, some will
say things like their unlimited service provides 2500 minutes of use;
call volumes that exceed 2500 minutes will be billed at $0.02/minute.
Got to read the fine print.

>From an architectural perspective, those providers that suggest they
have unlimited service plans also impose a limit on how many
simultaneous calls are allowed. The majority of these have a limit of
one, two, or some very small number of simultaneous calls. There way of
limiting usage since they don't really want you to use up more then
their stated fine-print usage.

Those providers that sell their services based on a cost per minute (as
opposed to unlimited plan) do not typically limit the number of
simultaneous calls. They want you to use as many minutes as possible, so
why would they try to limit the number of simultaneous calls?

To get the best deal possible (from any provider) you need to come up
with a reasonably accurate estimate of the number of minutes of incoming
and outgoing calls that "you" are going to make. Then, compare providers
to see which ones cost the least in terms of your requirements. Keep in
mind the higher your call volumes, the more competitive the providers
are. In other words, if your needs suggest 1,000,000 minutes of use per
month (incoming and outgoing), you should be able to find providers that
will charge you something like $0.012 per minute. (Stated a little
differently, the majority of service providers have other unpublished
plans that are discounted based on your expected level of usage.)

Most providers are trying to pattern their plans based on how well the
Cell providers have done in the past. You and I typically sign up for
xxxx minutes of cell phone usage, but don't actually use all of those
minutes. What's our "real" cost per minute in this case? And, how often
do we make useless cell phone calls because we have "free" minutes left?