[asterisk-users] Really bad phone line.. possible causes?

Jeff Turner jeff at atlassian.com
Tue Sep 5 21:38:15 MST 2006

Hi,

I was wondering if those more familiar with PSTN->Asterisk installs
could take a listen to this (86k recording):

http://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/185668/linegoingbad.mp3?version=1

It's what I hear dialling into our Asterisk box. As soon as the call
receiver makes a sound (clicking fingers in that recording), the line
makes a brief buzzing noise, then goes crazy with raw static.

There is a longer recording and configuration info at:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/TEST/Asterisk+phoneline+samples

The odd thing is, we have two phonelines, and the connection quality of
the second line coming into Asterisk is perfect.

Our Asterisk box is hooked up (in parallel with a NEC PBX) to our public
phone line via a TDM404P card.

Does this ring any bells for anyone?

Thanks,
Jeff