[asterisk-users] WiFi Phones (was Looking for Wireless Heaset for Polycom 501)

Andrew Joakimsen joakimsen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 20:14:00 MST 2006

Martin:

I had seen your other post and sent you a message off-list, but I never got
a response. What do you feel is the most lacking that does not make it ready
for a production enviroment.

-

I've been using a SIP deskphone in my office and usually some sort of ATA at
my house, both as the primary phone. I've also had mobile phones from almost
every carrier. Each one of these devices has offered just below the
reliability of the PSTN, maybe 96% vs 98% or so for the PSTN. But every
single WiFi phone I've tried has not gotten anywhere close to that. When
playing with these devices they are about 90% reliable, but for some odd
reason, moment I actually go to use it for a real call, something goes
wrong; the phone freezes or the network disconnects or it says its connected
but nothing happens when you try to place a call or the call is setup but
there is no audio, etc, etc, etc......  I just sort of figured that Nokia
would have gotten this one right.

Is there any chance you did not do this testing with the latest firmware? I
had heard that it really improves the SIP.

What is the potential market for a USD 200-300 WiFi SIP or IAX phone that is
known to be reliable. I haven't tested that many handsets, but the Linksys,
Pirelli, D-Link, 3Com, Neuf Twin, and who knows how many others are all made
by the same ODM so I don't think any of the variations might be any better.
There's a Samsung phone that was announced a while back but I can't find
anything of it, same for some Senao models and their site didn't load the
VoIP wifi page (404 error) months ago and is the same today. Cisco.... well
chan_sccp seems to have not been updated in 19 months and how feature-packed
is chan_skinny? Has anyone encountered a WiFi phone that is reliable besides
SpectraLink?

Regards,

Andrew