[Asterisk-Users] rxfax problem

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Oct 24 17:25:37 MST 2006

Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

> But if we have asterisk and add on Steve's code wouldn't it (suppor to
> recieve a t.38 fax call and have spandsp decode it) work? What does
> Steve granting a license to Digium have to do with it? I don't care if
> Asterisk and the fax support don't come from the same place.

Its easy to maintain a well contained application, like rxfax, outside
the tree. Trying to maintain patches to rtp.c, chan_sip.c and other core
elements is too much of a pain to be reasonable.

The code I contributed to Asterisk for T.38 passthrough languished for
about 9 months before it was integrated. The day it was integrated it
was in a less suitable state for integration than the day I contributed
it. The patch to chan_sip.c had required many hours work from people
over those 9 months, trying to keep up with the changes to the
chan_sip.c in SVN. Its just wasteful and frustrating. The development of
Asterisk has now degraded to the point where I will no longer contribute
anything to it.

If someone wants to take my code and make it work with Asterisk under
GPL conditions, that's fine. The GPL gives you that right. Please make
sure you stick to GPL conditions, though. You can't use G.729, for
example, in an Asterisk that's using spandsp.

Steve