[Asterisk-Users] rxfax problem

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Oct 24 16:41:48 MST 2006

Andrew Joakimsen wrote:

> But if we have asterisk and add on Steve's code wouldn't it (suppor to
> recieve a t.38 fax call and have spandsp decode it) work? What does
> Steve granting a license to Digium have to do with it? I don't care if
> Asterisk and the fax support don't come from the same place.

First off, I'm not really the right guy to be having this conversation,
but since I know enough of the facts I can respond accurately enough to
satisfy your query.  If you ask a lot more questions in the "what-if"
direction I may have to bow out.

Steve's related code is two-fold... code that is in spandsp and code
that is in OpenPBX.  And, actually I think that spandsp comes with
OpenPBX, so it's really just one download.

Anyway, spandsp is a library.  You get it, install it, and you end up
with a bunch of code libraries that really don't do anything by
themselves.  You have to have some other software that utilizes those
libraries, like the well-known txfax and rxfax applications... or like
iaxmodem.

Steve's work in OpenPBX is not really something that you can extract out
of OpenPBX and stick into Asterisk very easily.  I guess you're welcome
to try, though.  And, if you become successful in that - in producing a
patch to apply onto Asterisk and you then endeavor to maintain that
patch along with all of the other patches that you have to maintain to
keep your motley Asterisk running your OpenVOX cards, your txfax/rxfax
apps, and the myriad of other things that don't come with Asterisk for
who-knows-what reason... well, then you're effectively maintaining your
own little fork of Asterisk.  And at that point I would wonder why you
have gone through all of that effort just to avoid using OpenPBX, which
is where  Steve put that code for you to use in the first place.

Lee.