[asterisk-users] Re: 1.4 on mac OSX 10.4.8

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Thu Oct 19 20:21:07 MST 2006

On 2006-10-19 09:30:14 -0700, Todd- Asterisk
<thouleasterisk at gleffsecurity.com> said:

> I'm a Certified Apple Sys Admin - lots of experience with Macs and  Mac
> servers.  However, when  setting up an asterisk server, I'm still
> thinking a Dell box with linux is the best direction - to get the  full
> reliability and full support of this group.
The support thing is the strongest argument above.
>  Am I mistaken?  Or  is using a Mac box just as convenient and reliable?
My old imac G3/400 has been chugging along for months without any
issues. It doesn't handle a lot of calls (about 50 a day),  but it
doesn't have any problems either.

It has about 6 extensions, some SIP and some IAX2 as well as PSTN
gateway (wellgate 3701a).  I have some echo across the gateway (I have
a long loop) but that resolves within second of a call begining and
seems to be a standard issue around these parts (mac or Linux).  I also
have 3 IAX call terminators for US 48 AND Canada, as well as one
inbound DID (just for testing really).
>   Or is  traditional linux 'strongly' recommended for asterisk?  I'm
> looking  at a solely IP based system - no digium cards....
If you don't need Zaptel for hardware support, it seems to me that
Asterisk 1.09-1.2.12 has been solid on OSX (up till 1.4).

Plus, if you buy Apple hardware new, it's firkin' intel hardware
anyhow, so you could always boot it as a linux box if need be ;~)