[asterisk-users] Re: 1.4 on mac OSX 10.4.8

Dustin Wenz dwenz at iscompanies.com
Thu Oct 19 11:59:20 MST 2006

Our company's PBX is running Asterisk 1.2 under OS X Server and it's
been pretty reliable for the 50+ extensions that we have. The system
has an uptime of 245 days, and no one has ever reported dropped calls
or any other disturbing behavior. The reason we're using OS X instead
of Linux is that it's much easier to administer in our environment.
We have a data center full of xserves, and it would be a pain to have
one oddball Linux box worry about. At the very least, if you started
off with a xeon-based xserve and OS X didn't work out, you could
always just install Linux on it.

The only glaring hole in our implementation is that we haven't found
a good conferencing solution (no timing source = no meetme). Right
now, we are paying a fee for a third-party service to handle that for
us. It would be nice to get an Asterisk module working for this, or
possibly some sort of standalone SIP conferencing server.

There are some other issues that are not a big problem for us; last I
checked, realtime was not working for OS X ...and you're out of luck
if you want to buy Digium hardware since they haven't developed any
OS X drivers.

	- .Dustin