[asterisk-users] How big is *your* ego?

Matt Loretitsch matt at bird-technologies.com
Fri Oct 13 07:55:15 MST 2006

http://www.elna-america.com/tech_al_reliability.php

Capacitors are one of the components on that motherboard that have a
finite life span.  Other components are more or less tolerant of these
changes over time.  Eventually the caps WILL fail...this could be 5
years or 25, but it WILL happen with electrolytics.  I have a well
maintained, regulated (3 phase power distribution all ups'd generator
etc.) and vented data center (72F 40% relative humidity year round) and
loose things once a week...typically hard disks, but power supplies
often.  I monitor and graph temperature PER SERVER.

Cpu's also in fact also have a limited life span due to
electromigration.  Keeping a processor cool certainly does slow this
process, but does not eliminate it completely.  This actually applies to
most IC's, but it is more significant in processors where the layering
process is extremely thin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration

Often there is no symptom of these events before something critical
breaks.

I'm not siding with anybody here, but there is some glaring
mis-information in this thread.

-Matt

P.s. I do work with a lot of un-pro (claimed) dell equipment, but also
hp9000, sun enterprise 10k, old as/400 f40, dec alpha, and yes, pix and
netscreen.  They all quit at some point!