[asterisk-users] Outbound FXO call, getting "You must first dial..."

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Oct 7 08:15:20 MST 2006

Nick Ellson wrote:

> I am not sure what I might be set up wrong, but dialing out with my
> Zap/1 port seems to alwyas get the "You must first dial a 1 when calling
> this number" message from what sounds like the actual PSTN. My
> zapatel.conf and extensions.conf bits below. Any advice? (I do receive
> inbound calls, and it does sound like I am getting the PSTN error. I do
> notice that when I get an inbound call, I have 5 secs of sevear static
> before it suddenly becomes clear.. could that be happening on the
> outboud as well munging the first few digits?)
>
>    signalling=fxs_ks
>    language=us
>    context=inbound_qwest
>    sendcalleridafter=2
>    callerid=yes
>    threewaycalling=yes
>    transfer=yes
>    cancallforward=yes
>    callreturn=yes
>    echocancel=yes
>    echocancelwhenbridged=yes
>    rxgain=0.0
>    txgain=0.0
>    group=1
>    channel=>1
>
> exten => _9.,1,Dial(Zap/1/${EXTEN:1},60)

You should probably do a little research before posting questions like
this as its been answered many many time.

The problem is that "some" pstn central offices are not ready to receive
dtmf digits as quickly as what asterisk sends them. So, an option "w"
has been added to the Dial command to instruct asterisk to wait about
200 milliseconds before sending dtmf. Try something like this:
  exten => _9.,1,Dial(Zap/1/w${EXTEN:1},60)
and notice that lower-case "w" in the string. If that doesn't fix the
problem, try two "ww"'s in a row.