[asterisk-users] CALEA support within asterisk?

Brandon Galbraith brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 13:01:05 MST 2006

On 10/3/06, Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:28:01PM -0500, Brandon Galbraith wrote:
> >    end user (IANAL, though). CALEA should be fairly easy to implement
> >    either in Asterisk (with patches) or on the media gateway (when
> >    the call hits the PSTN/GSM network). It's even easier if it's
> >    SIP end to end, as you just need a box to sit in the middle and
> >    reinvite both ends to run through the "monitoring system" as it
> >    were. -brandon
>
> Again, my imperfect memories of CALEA from 10 years ago when the
> telecom-list people were fighting over it are that this wouldn't be
> good enough -- CALEA requires that that the tap be invisible -- you're
> not going to reinvite *everything*, are you?

If the calls are hitting your media gateway, then it is transparent if you
pull the audio stream right off of the gateway. It gets problematic if it's
end-to-end SIP and you don't want to reinvite everything. You're going to
have to sit in the middle of the audio stream somewhere, and if you don't
normally do that for all-SIP calls, then it's definately going to raise
flags when monitoring is done on an all-SIP conversation.

-brandon

--
Brandon Galbraith
Email: brandon.galbraith at gmail.com
AIM: brandong00
Voice: 630.400.6992
"A true pirate starts drinking before the sun hits the yard-arm. Yarrrr.
--thelost"