[asterisk-users] CALEA support within asterisk?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Oct 3 12:28:43 MST 2006

Matthew Thompson wrote:
> On 3 Oct 2006, at 19:53, Colin Anderson wrote:
>
>>> I, for one, welcome our new Republican overlords.
>>
>> lol you are just full of pop culture references, aren't you?
>
> Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
>
> Seriously though - is anyone aware of a precis of CALEA? I'm about to
> install an Asterisk setup into our US office and being a Brit in the UK
> I'm not totally up on what your Republic overlords are upto.

If you're simply installing asterisk as a pbx in your US office, you
probably don't have to do anything (for calea). If you are routing voip
calls in a manner more closely resembling the functions of a pstn
central office switch where calls through the asterisk system can be
to/from anyone (eg, outside your business), then you probably need to
keep a close eye on this thread.

As one of the other gentlemen on this list suggested, calls originated
from your UK office passing through your US asterisk box to your
customers (or potential customers) are not governed by calea laws as the
calea function would be implemented by the US telco in this case. The
exact same applies in the reverse direction. Regardless of which
direction the call is flowing in this case, the telco provides the
necessary calea functions.