[asterisk-users] Setting the CallerID

Conrad Wood asterisk-users at conradwood.net
Wed Nov 15 10:40:40 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 17:50 +0100, Tobias Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some trouble with setting my CallerID if i make an international
> Call. No Problems with National Calls, i can set whatever I want. We pay
> for this service but our telephone provider was not able to state clear,
> wether the number we set on an international call should be shown on the
> other side.
>
> Actually only our base number shows up.

With that, do you mean the number without international prefix? That's
odd.
What's the provider you are calling here in uk?
I regular get calls from Germany with the correct international callerid
showing.

> If I understand it correctly, in every call the base number is embedded
> as ANI, so that we can be billed.
>
> Is it possible, that, if a calls goes international, they only refer to
> the ANI and forget the set number ?

> The only route I am trying is from Germany to England, maybe it is a
> problem between the providers and not of my setup.

I don't receive any callerid from some (cheaper) german telco providers
(but most work correctly)
I vaguely remember that there are some pretty dodgy contractual
agreements lingering around. You might want to google for 'europe
callerid', specificially [1].
Are you sure your calls goes straight from Germany to UK? I found that
many German telecom providers terminate through the US, particularly to
landlines.

Maybe you could route your call to via sip to a uk voip provider and
persuade them to set the callerid to whatever you have in Germany? or
simply get a UK number routed via sip ? ;)

[1]
http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm
"In the UK, Oftel will allow European Caller ID if the other country has
implemented the Telecoms Privacy Directive"