[asterisk-users] Survey: In what ways do you use Asterisk at your house?

Michael Graves dickson at covad.net
Mon Nov 13 17:47:53 MST 2006

I've beeing using Asterisk for 3 years, principally in support of my home office, but recently the home phones as well. I work from home full time, have done for ten years.

At present I use Astlinux running on an H-P T5700 thin client. Prior to that it was Astlinux on a Soekris Net4801, before that a VIA fanless box. Fanless, diskless, silent & dead reliable were my
criteria for platform selection.

My primary desk phone is an Aastra 480i CT, although I have a few Polycom (500s & 600s) around the place as well. The home line rings to a Linksys SPA-2002 plugged into an old Panasonic
KX-TG4000 with two deskphones and two corldess phones.

My greatest joy was dropping SBC/AT&T completely. My two numbers (work & home) ring to an account with Nuvio to the Astlinux box via SIP. Outgoing calls are placed through Nufone,
VOIPjet and Voxee via IAX2. An incomming 800 number is provided by Clearpath via IAX2.

I'm presently using G.711 everywhere, but have used G.927 in the past and will once again if I can find the time to load the codecs to the T5700. I'm hoping that the faster CPU on the T5700
handles G.729 better than the Geode in the Net4801.

My FWD account rings into Astlinux via IAX2, although I hardly use it. I've tried using PSGW to bring Skype calls into the SIP domain, but it was not acceptable.

Michael