[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 or asterisk

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue May 30 13:03:48 MST 2006

Steve Totaro wrote:

> Please let us know your results.  I cannot really test this in
> production system since it is a $16,000/hr call center.  I was using
> madplay but it was crashing and creating zombie processes, I figured
> native was not the way to go since all of the different audio
> streams.  Mpg123 works perfectly for me under a load of sixty
> channels, I can confirm that for sure.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Steve,

mpg123 has the same problem with zombie processes as you were
experiencing with MadPlay.  For a scalable system, native MOH is the way
to go.  As per Kevin Fleming, it only introduces a slight memory
overhead.  mpg123 consumes CPU cycles to decompress the mp3s and in my
experience, a large scale Asterisk system is much hungrier for CPU
cycles than memory.

The different audio streams used by native MOH are not really a problem
for the following reasons:

 1) The native MOH files are likely to be cached, so they are probably
being read from memory.
 2) The native MOH files do not require decompression or transcoding.
 3) The MOH is handled in the same thread as the call itself, so there
is very little CPU overhead.

As always, I believe that the information I'm sharing is accurate but
welcome any corrections or additions.

Thank you,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions