[Asterisk-Users] mpg123 or asterisk

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue May 30 13:31:03 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 16:03 -0400, Matt Roth wrote:
> mpg123 has the same problem with zombie processes as you were
> experiencing with MadPlay.  For a scalable system, native MOH is the way
> to go.  As per Kevin Fleming, it only introduces a slight memory
> overhead.  mpg123 consumes CPU cycles to decompress the mp3s and in my
> experience, a large scale Asterisk system is much hungrier for CPU
> cycles than memory.

To further support native vs mpg123 here is something from astertest.com
- admittedly its old and may no longer be valid, but it should be useful
for a reference ...

22/11/2004: Music On Hold Part 1.
Today we reached 361 simultaneous SIP uLAW Music On Hold channels on
that same 350$ machine.  When using GSM we got up to 173. Out of
curiosity we tried some optimized configs with anthm's music on hold
native format patch and got to 395 channels, regardless of the codec
used. We are currently investigating more ways of increasing that value.
(As we think it should scale higher than app_playback). is that what you
were talking about?

Belfast IE +44 28 9099 6461    DE +49 801 777 555 3402
Utrecht NL +31 306 553058      US WA +1 360 207 0479
US NY +1 516 687 5200          FreeWorldDialup: 635378