[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma A200 4 port FXO card suddenly stopped answer on channels 2, 3, 4

Mike Garey random51k at gmail.com
Fri May 26 14:07:28 MST 2006

On 5/26/06, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak <mjc at avtechpulse.com> wrote:
> Mike Garey wrote:
>
> > It turns out that the Sangoma card had suddently decided to stop
> > answering on channels 2,3 and 4, so if someone was using channel 1,
> > then no other calls would be picked up.  We could, however, make
> > outgoing calls.  I tried restarting Asterisk and it didn't make a
> > difference.  I then tried restarting the Wanrouter and it started
> > working again.  Has anyone else run into this problem?
>
> Do you have the optional echo canceler? The echo canceler on my A20002D
> died after two months, resulting in erratic one-way audio. Sangoma sent
> a replacement after I presented my debugging efforts to my vendor
> (Telephonyware). The replacement works fine.

no, we don't have the echo canceller..

> Anyway, call your vendor about the fall-through problem.
>
> The disconnect problems that you mentioned are the same for any FXO card
> - see
> http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/resolving_hangup_detection_problems_fxo_tdm_voicemail.html.)
>

> I use
>
> minmessage=5
> maxsilence=3
> silencethreshold=128
>
> in voicemail.conf. Seems to work reasonably well.

I tried using something similar in my voicemail.conf (maxsilence=3,
minmessage=4), but the problem is if someone has to put the phone down
for more than 3 seconds, or pauses while speaking, the system will
disconnect them while they're leaving a message.  I've since reset
maxsilence to 10 seconds, since 10 seconds is more than long enough of
a pause to be sure that the person is no longer there.

And as far as I know, this isn't a problem that plagues all FXO cards,
as there are many other users who don't have the same problem.  I just
got off the phone with a Sangoma tech representative and they said
that they tried testing hangup detection with the A200 and it seemed
on one line it would detect a hangup reliably, while on another line
it would keep the connection active for about 15 seconds before
hanging up.  They said that it's a problem from the service provider
not giving the correct signalling.  But as far as I know, my service
provider is giving me remote disconnect service, so I'm at a loss to
understand why the card can't detect a hangup immediately.  As I've
stated in other posts, my $50 answering machine at home can handle
this situation, so I don't know what to say..

Mike