[Asterisk-Users] Are my expectations too high?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue May 23 06:21:16 MST 2006

If you use g.711 you should expect the same quality because that is
essentially the same codec the PSTN uses in T1s.
If you use g.729 you should expect some audio degradation as it is a
lossy compression codec. You will lose quality but gain significant
bandwidth reduction

Use a high quality phone (I use Cisco 7912s), use a high quality PSTN
interface.  T1 is better but a good analog FXO card should be fine.

-Matt