[Asterisk-Users] Are my expectations too high?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Tue May 23 06:38:28 MST 2006

Derek Lee-Wo wrote:
> With this card, would you say your audio quality is identical to that
> of an analog phone connected directly to the PSTN?  I'm trying to
> understand if I should expect "some" audio degradation when going
> through Asterisk.

In my experience, this card provides the sames quality that our old
Nortel Norstar PBX provided using the same lines. However, our PSTN
lines are not particularly good (heavily filtered, low volume).

We find that local SIP calls through a nearby provider have MUCH better
audio quality (clarity, lack of noise) than our PSTN lines.

However, long-distance SIP calls suffer from "choppiness", so we use the
PSTN for them.

Unfortunately, it takes a LOT of experimenting to find the "perfect" mix.

- Mike