[Asterisk-Users] Upgrade 7960 from SCCP 3.0 to SIP 7.5

Greg Oliver goliver at cistera.com
Sun May 21 09:11:39 MST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 14:28 +0200, Olivier Krief wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't upgrade an old 7960 from SCCP 3.0 to SIP 7.5.  Could you
> help ?
>
> From
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk701/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094584.shtml#sccptosip2, I got the following:
>      1. Copy the desired binary image from Cisco.com to the root
>         directory of the TFTP server.
>
>      2. Specify the image in the configuration file image parameter
>         for the protocol to which you are converting (load_information
>         for SCCP or image_version for SIP).
>
>      3. Remove any protocol configuration files that are not used for
>         the specified protocol.
>
> Firmware versions are P003F300 (Application Load ID) and PC030300
> (Boot Load ID).
> In TFTP root directory, the following files are present:
> OS79XX.TXT
> P003-07-5-00.bin
> P003-07-5-00.sbn
> P0S3-07-5-00.bin
> P0S3-07-5-00.sbn
> P0S3-07-5-00.loads
> SIP<MAC Addres>.cnf
> SIPDefault.cnf
>
> On boot, I can see in my TFTP logs the phone is served an OS79XX.TXT
> file which now holds "P0S3-07-5-00" content.
> From TFTP logs, I can see my phone is then asking for "P0S3-07-.bin"
> file which doesn't exist in my TFTP directory.
> Next it asked for SEP<MAC Addres>.cnf and SEPDefault.cnf.
> Both files don't exist but SIP<MAC Addres>.cnf and SIPDefault.cnf do
> exist.
> In SIPDefault.cnf "image_version=P0S3-07-5-00" is included.
> .
> When I change P0S3-07-5-00 to P003-07-5-00 in OS79XX.TXT file, it
> directly asked SEP<MAC Addres>.cnf and SEPDefault.cnf failing to ask
> for any .bin file.
>
> My first question is :
>
> What should be written is OS79XX.TXT if I want to upgrade to SIP ?
> P0S3-07-5-00 ?
> P0S307500 (with a symbolic link to P0S3-07-5-00 in TFTP root
> directory) ?
> P003-07-5-00 ?

You have to upgrade to a new version of SCCP or older version of SIP
before the bootloader on the phone will be able to handle the newer
firmware.  In the same Cisco page you read the info is there - you can
either use an older version of SIP first, or a newer version of SCCP..
Older SIP is probably easier - 6.3 is the newest you can use to then
jump to 7.x and/or 8.x..

You will need to put this in SEPDefault.cnf (not SIPDefault)

image_version:P0S3-07-5-00  (whatever version you grab)

That will tell it to grab the SIP firmware if it is not using OS79XX.txt
- I cant remember that far back if it is still used..  Doesn't hurt to
have both though...

-Greg