[Asterisk-Users] How to unlock old SCCP Cisco 7960 ?

Olivier Krief olivier.krief at gmail.com
Sat May 20 02:52:37 MST 2006

Hi,

An Cisco 7960 ipphone has been set to SCCP firmware by one of our students.
I want to set it to 7.5 SIP firmware and I've been unsuccessful yet.

Firmware versions are SCCP 3.0 (Source: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_ipphon/english/ipp7960/addprot/mgcp/frmwrup.htm#wp1045789) ie:
Application Load P003F300
Boot Load ID PC030300

When I browse, phone settings, I see that :
- Network Configuration menu is locked (lock icon in upper right corner),
- and several parameters are incorrectly valued
- among them TPFT address is not set (parameter 8: "TFTP Server" with blank field) and BOOTP server set to NO (parameter 2: "BOOTP Server" with NO)

My phone keeps on displaying "Configuring IP" with a clock-like icon running.

I'm using Centos 4.3.
I see that /var/log/atftpd.log file is untouched (0 bytes size and unmodified during last hours) but I'm unable to tell which program (nor process or log file) would a 7960 use when checking or updating its configuration files with FTP (I'm new to Linux and system administration).

I've already copied SIP 7.5 firmware files in /tftpboot directory and removed old SCCP firmware files.

According http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/voip/handset_to_sip.html, first step is to unlock Network Configuration menu with the following instruction :
Press the **# buttons in order to unlock the phone

Trouble is that nothing seems to happen when doing so.

My questions are :
1. What "Press the **# buttons" exactly means ? Shall I press each key for a certain duration ?
2. Which FTP program serves 7960's TFTP requests on Centos 4.3 ? How Can I check that ?
3. Is it normal that 7960's keeps on booting (keeps on displaying "Configuring IP") ?
3. What would you advise me to do then ?

Regards