[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk/Zaptel 64-bit?

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue May 9 02:53:46 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 14:39 +0800, Kenige Ho wrote:

>         On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 02:03 +0800, Kenige Ho wrote:
>         > Dear All,
>         >
>         > I was wondering will there be any problems or changes that I
>         will need
>         > to do to compile the current
>         > Asterisk(1.2.7)/Zaptel(1.2.5)/Libpri(1.2.2) source from
>         > www.asterisk.org into a 64-bit binaries?  I am currently
>         using the
>         > following hardware for my new server.
>         >
>         > CPU: Pentium D 930 3.0 GHz
>         > Mobo: Intel D945PSN Motherboard
>         > RAM: 512MB 533MHz DDR-2
>         > Drive: SATA II Seagate 160GB
>         > Card: TE406 Digium Card
>         > OS: Fedore Core 5
>
>         Although I don't have any experience with your particular
>         hardware,
>         afaik there is no issue with building and running zaptel,
>         libpri and
>         asterisk on x86_64 hardware. Works fine for many. You can find
>         (S)RPMs
>         at http://atrpms.net and at http://www.laimbock.com/asterisk/
>         If you
>         search on http://voip-info.org there are more places where you
>         can find
>         packages for FC5. If I may make a suggestion: have you thought
>         about
>         getting another harddisk and run the two in a RAID1 setup? The
>         cost of
>         the extra harddisk versus the cost of being down on a 4 span
>         card is
>         something probably worth considering.
>
>         Regards,
>         Patrick
>
> Thank for your reply and advice, Patrick. The reason I didn't add a
> RAID1 to the server was that I am not sure if RAID1 on SATA II is
> stable on FC5 yet and also since the HDD isn't hotswap (at least i
> don't think SATA HDD can hotswap).  There will always be a downtime
> for me.

I don't know the stability of software RAID1 with SATA either. In spite
of having to take the box down to replace one of the broken disks, you
can do it at a time that suits you/your customers best. I think you can
also add a third disk that will act as a hot spare.

[snip]

> Also for the zaptel driver and sources, I prefer to a compile on it
> rather than rpm install.  So I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't
> encounter any problems with a compile and don't want to waste my
> hardware purchase.  Is there any special command or switches that I
> need to add in the make files to compile to 64-bit?

Afaik you don't need to do anything to compile on x86_64. You might want
to check the various Makefiles for settings you would like to tweak.
Iirc there are some hardcoded /usr/lib paths ingering around that should
probably be /usr/lib64. Don't remember where though. Check the spec
files (and maybe the patches) in the SRPMs at