[Asterisk-Users] Streaming voice using IAX

JS jimi.shah at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:02:01 MST 2006

Hello

I have decided to use IAX to send simple voice from one end to
Asterisk as IAX is more light weight than SIP.

As IAX does not use RTP for media transfer, we attach the voice
frames with IAX messages (miniframes may be?)

libiax2 has a function called iax_send_voice that accepts following
parameters: session, codec_format, data, datalen, samples

Could any body point me to some documentation that explains
answers to questions like:

For a given codec,
1) what should be datalen
2) how often should I send data
3) what should be samples value
4) should I be concerned about byte order (say I am reading from
a file and sending it over network)

I am interested in sending EVRC encoded frames to Asterisk (I am not
familiar with the process of sending/streaming audio frames, helpful
documentation on that would also be appreciated)

Thanks
Jim