[Asterisk-Users] Which g729 codec to download for a P4?

kaze0010 at umn.edu kaze0010 at umn.edu
Thu Mar 23 21:13:33 MST 2006

On Mar 23 2006, Steve Gladden wrote:

>Sorry for being a bit of a newbie here but I find the
>docs or README for downloading the G.729 codec from Digium
>are not as detailed as I would like or just don't really
>break down the different versions to a point that I am clear
>on which one to grab.
>
>The choices for 32bit are:
>
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 athlon-xp
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 c3
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 c3-2
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 i386
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 i586
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 i686
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 k6-3
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 pentium-m
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 pentium3m
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 pentium4m
>drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0            4096 Dec 05 00:21 prescott
>

>I'm unclear if "athlon-xp" is only for athlon xp or all athlons/durons
>if not what is best for athlons & durons?
>I will need to install g.729 on a duron server soon.
>

>But immediately I need to install g.729 on our P4 server
>and I'm a little confused on 'which p4' I need to install.
>
>What is the 'm' for in pentium4m?
>seems to mean 'multi' processor but I am totally unclear on this.
>what the heck is just a 'pentium-m'?

The 'm' in x86 architecture CPUs usually refers to a 'mobile' optimized
version of the CPU. That usually means it consumes less power and may have
the ability to switch CPU speeds while in use (e.g. Intel's SpeedStep
technology). The Pentium-M is the CPU that is part of the Intel Centrino
chipset (CPU+wireless+north/southbridge package), and it's the direct
decendent of the Pentium-3.

Chosing a cpu-specific version of the codec simply means you will be using
one that is was compilied targeting that cpu, and it may use cpu
instructions only available on that cpu or its decendents. You can always
choose a version from a architecture-lineage precedessor, and for any x86
cpu available today, that means the i386. The tradeoff for a more generally
compatible version is a potentially lower performing codec, but this should
not be a problem unless you are pushing your system to the limits.

If I remember by CPU history for the Pentium 4 correctly, you should be
safe with any of the i386/i586/i686/pentium3m/pentium4m options.

There is a good chart here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_microprocessors
and more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_architecture