[Asterisk-Users] G729 License questions

Nathan Alberti asterisk at iipc.com.au
Wed Mar 22 21:25:24 MST 2006

I hope this isn't considered cross posting, i sent the following
email to Digium support but figured someone on the list may also have
better insight into my questions.

I have purchased 2 g729 licenses from Digium for testing and have the
following questions;

** My configuration is a single asterisk box configured with 2 g729
licenses and 2 x Cisco 7960 Phones, I have confirmed the phones are
re-inviting correctly and the media stream is flowing directly
between the two handsets**

I was under the impression a license was only required when asterisk
had to take part in the conversation and process frames, I have
noticed that when the phone re-invite asterisk still considers a
license to be in use when its is no longer in the media path, is this
correct ? Should correct behavior not be to release the license as it
is no longer being used ?

I have also read it is possible for Asterisk to allow g729 pass
through, if both endpoints are g729 both with set to re-invite. Is
this scenario possible when you have the commercial license ? it
seems to me you get hit with using a license because they are there
not because they are necessarily required.

Regards,

Nathan.