[Asterisk-Users] G729 License questions

Martin Joseph ast at stillnewt.org
Wed Mar 22 23:05:29 MST 2006

On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:25 PM, Nathan Alberti wrote:

> I hope this isn't considered cross posting, i sent the following email
> to Digium support but figured someone on the list may also have better
> insight into my questions.
>

> I have purchased 2 g729 licenses from Digium for testing and have the
> following questions;
>
> ** My configuration is a single asterisk box configured with 2 g729
> licenses and 2 x Cisco 7960 Phones, I have confirmed the phones are
> re-inviting correctly and the media stream is flowing directly between
> the two handsets**
>
> I was under the impression a license was only required when asterisk
> had to take part in the conversation and process frames, I have
> noticed that when the phone re-invite asterisk still considers a
> license to be in use when its is no longer in the media path, is this
> correct ? Should correct behavior not be to release the license as it
> is no longer being used ?
>
> I have also read it is possible for Asterisk to allow g729 pass
> through, if both endpoints are g729 both with set to re-invite. Is
> this scenario possible when you have the commercial license ? it seems
> to me you get hit with using a license because they are there not
> because they are necessarily required.

I think you're right, that you don't need a license at all to pass g729
directly or even through asterisk.  It's only when you are transcoding
that you need a license.

Make sure your phones are actually SELECTING the g729 codec within
asterisk.  Just because the phone is set to prefer it, means nothing.
Verify that your asterisk extensions give highest priority to g729.

HTH,
Marty