[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Users Mailing List Traffic

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Mar 22 09:20:26 MST 2006

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 10:51, John Novack wrote:
> In fact, since the subject keeps coming up, perhaps there really is an
> issue that needs to be addressed??

It has been addressed.  There are a host of forum sites specific to Asterisk,
and even more (such as tek-tips) which include Asterisk forums.  Several have
been mentioned in this very thread.  Digium even has their own and advertise
it on their website.

It's not for lack of availability of forums or people willing to run forums
that the mailing lists prevail.  The fact that people keep coming back here
tells me that these mailing lists are the correct answer, and it's only the
loud minority that bitch and whine about it, ultimately leaving for one of
the forum sites, only to silently return weeks/months later.

The reason it keeps coming up is not because forums are a better medium, but
because we are a rapidly growing community, and the newcomers come, wonder
why we're not using a forum and the entire subject gets re-hashed for another
time.

The short of it is that there are alternatives, and nobody's chaining you to
the lists.  For all their popularity, the forum simply seems to be lacking in
the ability to be an effective communication medium when compared to the
venerable old mailing list.  The flash and glitz of the forum attracts, but
for some reason everyone ends up here.  Can you explain why, if forums are so
much better?

-A.