[Asterisk-Users] Feedback from VON expo! Info on * HAandPolycomphone!!

Gabriel Afana asterisk at gafana.com
Sun Mar 19 22:44:20 MST 2006

> Huh? Phones do a NAPTR/SRV lookup in a specified domain to get a list of
> SRV records to use. The phones don't query the DNS server every time they
> make a call... they have a cache. You also run primary and a secondary (or
> two primary) dns servers. It's a simple scalable solution. It's a shame
> Asterisk doesn't support it.

The only thing Asterisk would use an SRV lookup for is handing calls off to
a carrier for termination right?  The phones are the ones that need the SRV
to try to have a redundant setup and I believe there is nothing wrong at all
on relying on this - the whole world relies on DNS and since its inception,
there has never been a total failure of the DNS network....pretty reliable
if you ask me.  For my Polycom, this is a great setup.

The only thing is I want to be sure I understand the statement above because
the only time I can see Asterisk needing to do an SRV lookup is if it is
handing a call to a carrier for termination.

- Gabe