[Asterisk-Users] Help with Gizmo from outside firewall

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Wed Mar 15 13:06:47 MST 2006

I've beaten myself bloody dealing with this one...  No luck so far.  In
summary, incoming calls from Gizmo establish, but neither get nor send
sound.  Outbound calls to Gizmo work fine (well a bit choppy but work)

My thought is that the SIP connection is being made fine, but the RTP
is getting stopped / blocked / misdone somewhere.

Here is the thing:

 Asterisk 2.5 on Linux
 (No hardware cards yet)
 X-Lite softphones on a few machines
 Gizmo clients and Gizmo accounts on the internet
 Gizmo client on the localnet
 PF firewall
 New to asterisk

Okay - here are things that work and what I have tried:

Works:  If I call a Gizmo user outside the network from an XLite SIP
phone inside the network it works.

Works:  If I call a Gizmo user inside the network from an XLite phone
inside the network it works.

NOT WORK:  If I have asterisk register with gizmo and a gizmo person
outside the network calls me, they get connected - but no sound either
way.

NOT WORK:  If I have gizmo inside my network and I dial to my asterisk
connected gizmo line it connects, but no sound.

I logged all dropped packets at the firewall and am not blocking
anything (I was at first dropping some incoming UDP in the 9000-20000
range, but that has been fixed.

The only thing I have not been able to do is to try to have an external
xlite phone connect in and work.  I think this would rest the blame on
the firewall or gizmo...

The only thing that seems weird is that is only happens when Gizmo
originates the call.  I can see the prompts and stuff playing on the
CLI, but nothing gets sent to the other end.  Also, if I answer a call,
sound goes neither way.

I've tried a bunch of things
My SIP.conf has

register => 1747xxxxxxx:password at proxy01.sipphone.com

[gizmo-inbound]
type=peer
context=from-gizmo
dtmfmode=rfc2833
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=alaw
allow=ilbc
allow=gsm
nat=yes
host=proxy01.sipphone.com
insecure=very
canreinvite=no
externip=69.10.14.12
localnet=192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

I have no idea what to check / try next...  My gut instinct tells me it
has to do with the firewall NAT and the RTP connection - but nothing is
getting dropped or blocked, and I can dial out to them.

Internally, Xlite -> asterisk works fine also.

Any ideas would be immense help!

Bill