[Asterisk-Users] ZapATA channels up, but calls cannot be made

Mark Buckaway mabuckaway at mac.com
Sun Mar 5 16:40:30 MST 2006

I have a issue with two Zap clone cards where they used to work.

I am using Asterisk at Home 2.5 which includes Asterisk 1.24 and Zaptel
drivers 1.2.4. The system is a new Intel Celerion machine. I used to
have the same cards running in a Intel PIII system. in this system,
they worked. In this older system, I was able to call into the
machine and call out from it. Now that I have upgraded the entire
box, I cannot figure out why the cards are not working or, more
correctly, I cannot place or receive calls on them.

First, a bit of background. I have been running this new machine for
a few weeks now connecting to the PSTN through an IAX provider. I
have some 10 phones connected to Asterisk using several DLink
DVG-1120M VOIP "routers". Voicemail, paging, etc. all works. I can
call into the IAX trunk and call any phone. I have two POTS lines
which I intend to keep - the IAX provider charges by the minutes,
thus, I would like to use this connection only as a backup when the
POTS lines are in use. The Asterisk system is replacing a Nortel
Venture setup. So, I am at the final stage of implementation - get
the Zap cards working, sell the Venture phone system.

Now, I have installed the drivers, setup the /etc/zapata.conf and /
etc/asterisk/zapata-auto.conf, etc. I have configured Asterisk with
two trunks Zap/1 and Zap/2. For testing, I have setup asterisk to
sent calls with the dialing prefix  of 9 to the Zap trunks. When I
attempt to place a call, I receive the following message:

Mar  5 18:20:29 NOTICE[13927] app_dial.c: Unable to create channel of
type 'ZAP' (cause 0 - Unknown)

...on both channels. Neither channel even tried to pickup the line.
Anyone have any thoughts of where to look?

Here are some of details that may be useful:
Cards:
02:0b.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX
Modem/ISDN interface
02:0c.0 Communication controller: Tiger Jet Network Inc. Tiger3XX
Modem/ISDN interface

/etc/zaptel.conf:
# Span 1: WCFXO/0 "Generic Clone Board 1"
fxsks=1

# Span 2: WCFXO/1 "Generic Clone Board 2" RED
fxsks=2

# Global data

loadzone        = us
defaultzone     = us

/etc/asterisk/zatata-auto.conf (as generated by genzapataconf):
;
callerid=asreceived

; Span 1: WCFXO/0 "Generic Clone Board 1"
signalling=fxs_ks
; Note: this is a trunk. Create a ZAP trunk in AMP for Channel 1
context=from-pstn
group=0
channel => 1

; Span 2: WCFXO/1 "Generic Clone Board 2" RED
signalling=fxs_ks
; Note: this is a trunk. Create a ZAP trunk in AMP for Channel 2
context=from-pstn
group=0
channel => 2

zap show status:
asterisk2*CLI> zap show status
Description                              Alarms     IRQ
bpviol     CRC4
Generic Clone Board 1                    RED        0
0          0
Generic Clone Board 2                    RED        0
0          0
ZTDUMMY/1 1                              UNCONFIGUR 0
0          0

(FYI: The Alarms go to OK when the PSTN lines are connected - they
were disconnected when I ran this command)

zap show channels:
sterisk2*CLI> zap show ch
channel   channels
asterisk2*CLI> zap show channels
    Chan Extension  Context         Language   MusicOnHold
pseudo            from-pstn       en

/extension_additional.conf says:
OUT_2 = ZAP/2
OUT_1 = ZAP/1

(changing these to Zap/1 or zap/1 makes no difference)

Anyone have any thoughts on what I am missing? This must be something
simple.

Mark Buckaway
mabuckaway at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/mark.buckaway
Blog:  http://homepage.mac.com/mark.buckaway/blog
---
Positive thinking – should never be a substitute for action