[Asterisk-Users] Polycom 501 power over ethernet

William M Conlon bill at tothept.com
Sun Mar 5 17:23:02 MST 2006

When I bought two Polycom 501 SIP phones, I naively thought they were
Power-over-Ethernet (IEEE 802.3af) because they were "powered over
ethernet."  Silly me.

Polycom must have some odd voltage or funny way of injecting the
power, because the POE switch I bought for them (Netgear F at 510P)
won't power them, though if I use the Polycom-supplied AC adapter and
ethernet power injector cable, they work with the switch in either
its powered or unpowered ports.

Anyhow, I hadn't seen any mention of how people power these phones,
as I had planned on centralizing phone power on a UPS to supply my
Asterisk server and POE switch.  Now the question is:

Can the Polycom AC-powered injector be used with a standard ethernet
patch cable:

	switch :: Polycom injector cable :: RJ45 coupler :: patch cable ::
Polycom 501

which would allow me to power the Polycom AC adapters by my UPS.  Or
do I need to provide a UPS at each phone and run the ethernet like

	switch :: patch cable :: RJ45 coupler :: Polycom injector cable ::
Polycom 501

thanks.