[Asterisk-Users] Program Buttons on Cisco 79xx Phones

asterisk at anime.net asterisk at anime.net
Sun Mar 5 03:08:57 MST 2006

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Michiel van Baak wrote:
> On 20:52, Sat 04 Mar 06, asterisk at anime.net wrote:
>> We're still waiting for a SIP-enabled 7970...
>> The newer model phones (7941g/ge, 7961g) are sccp-only. Seems a step
>> backwards to me.
> why?

If cisco really is moving towards SIP as claimed earlier, then releasing
new phones which are sccp-only is a step backwards from that goal.

If cisco really is moving towards SIP as claimed earlier, then cisco
should release SIP images for 7970, as they did with 7960 and 7940.

> I had my phones running on SIP, got chan-sccp and started
> experimenting with it.
> All my phones are running SCCP now. The phones respond
> faster, you have more options etc.
> Of course it would be nice if they offer SIP so people have
> a choice, but I really think the chan_sccp is the way to
> have these phones work.

This only means sccp is currently better for cisco phones, it doesn't mean
sccp is a better protocol.

sccp and asterisk has some err.. real annoying bugs at the moment, where
ciscos running SIP don't have these problems.

Given a choice I'd run SIP, if only to have the phones able to talk to
each other and gateways if the PBX dies for any reason. sccp can't do
that -- if you lose the PBX you totally lose all functionality on all
your sccp phones.

-Dan