[Asterisk-Users] Program Buttons on Cisco 79xx Phones

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Sun Mar 5 03:58:00 MST 2006

On 02:08, Sun 05 Mar 06, asterisk at anime.net wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Michiel van Baak wrote:
> >On 20:52, Sat 04 Mar 06, asterisk at anime.net wrote:
> >>We're still waiting for a SIP-enabled 7970...
> >>The newer model phones (7941g/ge, 7961g) are sccp-only. Seems a step
> >>backwards to me.
> >why?
>
> If cisco really is moving towards SIP as claimed earlier, then releasing
> new phones which are sccp-only is a step backwards from that goal.
>
> If cisco really is moving towards SIP as claimed earlier, then cisco
> should release SIP images for 7970, as they did with 7960 and 7940.

I agree that they should provide SIP. And indeed releasing
sccp only while stating you are switching to SIP sounds
conflicting.

> >I had my phones running on SIP, got chan-sccp and started
> >experimenting with it.
> >All my phones are running SCCP now. The phones respond
> >faster, you have more options etc.
> >Of course it would be nice if they offer SIP so people have
> >a choice, but I really think the chan_sccp is the way to
> >have these phones work.
>
> This only means sccp is currently better for cisco phones, it doesn't mean
> sccp is a better protocol.

Agreed.

> sccp and asterisk has some err.. real annoying bugs at the moment, where
> ciscos running SIP don't have these problems.

Yeah, but still I can live with that because all the other
things make up for that.
The only annoying thing I have is the GroupPickup not
working. Besides that they do all the SIP version does, and
more.

> Given a choice I'd run SIP, if only to have the phones able to talk to
> each other and gateways if the PBX dies for any reason. sccp can't do
> that -- if you lose the PBX you totally lose all functionality on all
> your sccp phones.

If you loose the PBX there are more problems.
I don't know how the SIP image handles this, but I do know
the SCCP image can be configured to failover to a second
PBX. That way we can continue everything we do when 1 of our
PBX boxes decides to die.

As you can see, it all comes down to a matter of personal
taste. That's why they should release SIP, just to give you
the ability to choose.

Coming back to the OP question, the SCCP image gives you a
lot more control over the buttons. It involves some altering
in a .c file, but there you can specify your layout as you
want it.

--
Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.info