[Asterisk-Users] Digium Hardware Reliability

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jun 30 05:47:15 MST 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 21:38, M.Hockings wrote:
> How reliable is Digium hardware in general.?  My new TDM400P just died.

I have a number of Digium T1 products (T100P, TE410P, TE405P and TE406P) as
well as a few TDM400 based boards.  No failures in the last 2 years or so.

> So, at over 2x the cost is Sangoma hardware more sturdy than the Digium
> stuff?

Not that I've seen.  I also have a number of Sangoma products.  Both work very
well for me.  As an engineer, I can also see that the protection on the
interfaces is comparable.

> Mike (totally UNimpressed with Digium)

I don't think this is a Digium problem, at least not yet.  What did their
customer service people say?  Can you ask for a failure report?  You note
that power went out.  Generally when this occurs there is a very high chance
of transient voltage spiking or line swells not only on the residential
electrical power grid but also on the telephone network.  Do you have any
telco line protection in place to protect the card from nasties coming in
from the outside?  Is the protection correctly installed?  How about
electrical protection?  The MOVs in your power strip and UPS are only good
for a few hits before they become ineffective (something they never tell
you).

Unless you know something more than you've presented here it is a little
premature to start pointing fingers.

-A.